In the past week, a lot of things have been posted and a lot of arguments have been thrown back and forth via social media in regards to Melissa Schuman’s allegations against Nick Carter in 2002. If you haven’t read about it, google it – we’re not going to link it in this post.
Numerous fans (and non-fans) have taken to Twitter, Facebook, etc. to post their opinions about the story and to be honest, none of us know exactly what transpired the night that Melissa has brought into question. That much is true. That is why we can only go off of what we know and that is where it gets confusing.
Before we lay out what we know and why we’re confused, let’s get one thing straight – we are not “victim shaming” and we know the whole “this is why victims don’t come forward” psychology. We get it. Just as Nick is innocent until proven guilty, we, personally, can not 100% refer to Melissa as a victim.
We’re not posting this to get into a he-said / she-said, but we’re posting it to give everyone a layout of WHY we’re all confused about these allegations (and to right a few things). If we’re going to talk about it, let’s talk about all of it. We are always welcoming of anyone who can dispute the items and clear things up for us as well.
Here we go:
– Probably the most questionable fact regarding Melissa and Nick has been the fact that Melissa Schuman follows Nick Carter on Twitter. Even after many fans pointed this out, she has not unfollowed him. Melissa joined Twitter in April 2008 and Nick didn’t join until March 2009. This was 6 and 7 years after the alleged incident and it isn’t a case of “follow back” since Nick does not follow her.
We understand that it’s good to keep friendly relations in “the industry”, but if Melissa wanted nothing to do with Nick past the incident and the duet where he supposedly snubbed her for having a boyfriend, why is she following him on social media?
– Melissa tweeted Nick her condolences after his sister Leslie passed away in 2012.
@NickCarter My thoughts and prayers out to you and your family. I’m so very sorry for your loss.
— MelissaSchuman (@MelissaSchuman) February 2, 2012
– Melissa’s husband of 11 years (who she met in 2003), Brandon Henschel, is a dancer on Lip Sync Battle and danced on stage with Nick Carter, AJ McLean, and Gigi Hadid in 2016. Melissa liked this tweet about Nick and her husband being “DILFs”.
— Kathleen T (@kafaleen86) February 22, 2016
– In 2012, Melissa retweeted a tweet about the song that she and Nick recorded together.
— Silvy Mtz. (@s57v58) July 14, 2012
– In a video on her YouTube page from September 2017, Melissa states that “music from BSB and NSYNC “gives her the “warm and fuzzies”.
– This Summer, Melissa added a video of Nick in The Hollow to her YouTube playlist, posted by a Backstreet fan account.
– It’s apparent across all social media channels that Melissa is trying to gain notoriety. She and her husband have applied to be on The Amazing Race and she has tweeted Celebrity Big Brother to be on as well. Her first YouTube video from 2014 is titled “I Need To Become Important On The Internet”, in which she talks about how much she wants to be back in the spotlight. See video here. This has been said to be an improv piece, but we have no proof. She has also tweeted multiple times over the years that she is looking to be on Dancing With The Stars. She was also active on social media (liking tweets / retweeting) about wanting to be a judge on Boy Band – which Nick Carter was already cast on.
– Melissa name drops Nick in a 2015 interview about what she has been up to since Dream ended.
– At 1:45 into this video, Melissa and Ashley (also from Dream) name NSYNC as their favorite boyband, but agree that they love the Backstreet Boys as well.
– Perhaps the oddest is that Melissa did an Instagram Live with fans in May and at 2:30m, she states “that poor guy (Nick) has gone through so much. He’s been through it, I tell you. So sad” before going on to talk about how excited she is to watch Boy Band and mentioning that Aaron Carter is a “hoot”, signaling that her and Nick’s relationship went past one night. Watch here.
– Speaking of Aaron, she also tweeted him (Nick’s brother) in 2013 in good spirits.
– We also find it odd that, before posting this piece on Harvey Weinstein and the #MeToo movement and how Maxim wanted her to show more skin against her wants, Melissa erased all traces of attending the Maxim Halloween party in 2015 from her Instagram….but not her Twitter (here, here, here, and here). There are multiple instagram posts that have been deleted actually, and upon posting her Nick Carter themed blog post, there were multiple fans that asked her where her Instagram post went that was praising him. Obviously, we can not retrieve deleted posts, but with so many alluding to them and a history of deleting things, we have reason to believe that they existed, just like people believe that these events actually happened.
@melissaschuman that sounds Awesome. are you and Nick Carter still keep in Touch?
— DJ KiD MiKEY (@THEBACKSTSAVIOR) February 18, 2010
@THEBACKSTSAVIOR I havent seen him in a few years actually. Talented guy!
— MelissaSchuman (@MelissaSchuman) February 18, 2010
While Melissa changed her Instagram handle and deleted the above IG post, a fan shared the post before it was deleted. Melissa posted this photo of Nick with their song playing in December 2016 with words of praise for Nick — which has since been deleted.
Melissa also left the comment above in Summer 2017 on a Backstreet Boys fan’s video of the Boys from a Vegas show.
Melissa also claimed she didn’t tell anyone about it for a long time. However, in a story to Life & Style magazine in early 2018, where she changed the incident from 2002 to 2003 after it had been published, claimed that multiple people knew, including her fellow Dream members.
It is also confusing as to why Melissa said she avoided Nick after the alleged incident in her blog post detailing the night in question and that he was seemingly harassing her to talk to him, but then during her appearance on Dr. Oz, claimed that they continued to film scenes together for The Hollow.
“Shortly after he called me. He called me over and over and over again and I wouldn’t pick up. I didn’t want to hear his voice. He jammed my phone with calls for weeks, leaving me messages demanding I speak with him. Then he finally left me one last nasty, angry message and he never called me again. It was over, at least I thought it was. I thought I’d never have to see or hear from him ever again.” – Melissa’s Blog, November 2018
“We filmed scenes together and he acted like nothing even happened. I brought my friend to set. My dad came to set.” – Melissa during her appearance on Dr. Oz, November 2018
There is also a few more conflicting statements about the aftermath of the alleged events.
This was reported in Life and Style in February 2018:
This comment left on her own Instagram, which was deleted after the Life and Style article was published, suggests otherwise.
Nick has always been very open and honest with fans and the general public, detailing events he isn’t proud of in hopes that someone else will learn from his mistakes. So, in addition to the above facts about why we find Melissa’s claims hard to believe, we can’t just take her word for it.
Again, we are not shaming Melissa Schuman, but the above pieces are what they are and we don’t have any reason to not believe Nick when he says that everything was consensual and that he’s shocked by these accusations… because we are too. If we had any reason to believe that Nick is guilty of sexual misconduct, we wouldn’t be writing this. We are reasonable human beings and we definitely don’t believe that Nick Carter can do no wrong… because he has….and he has taken complete ownership of it. He has given us EVERY reason to believe him, without having to convince us.
So, we leave you to draw your own conclusions, but get all the pieces of the puzzle before you do. We owe it to everyone involved.
(For those finding this post since initial claims were made, this is Nick’s statement: “I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman’s accusations. Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual. We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally. This is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, nearly two decades later. It is contrary to my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm.”)
[DISCLAIMER: Since this post was published, it has been assumed that I have some sort of paid association with Nick. That is a wrong assumption. I am a regular person with a job that has absolutely nothing to do with Nick Carter and this site has been my own with my own thoughts and opinions since 2014. We also do not condone ANY harassment toward Melissa. This post was specifically written about questions we had — which she answered in a blog of her own. In the blog Melissa wrote, there are many untruths made about me personally, but our response feels unnecessary.]
UPDATE (March 2019): It’s been a year and a half since I wrote this blog and never did I think that this blog would still be making the rounds today. I definitely didn’t think that I would still trolled because of it. As I stated above, this post was written in defense of Nick, not for the sake of condemning Melissa. We will continue to rally around Nick because that is our prerogative. People are free to have a different opinion, but ours is not going to change and we will not be shamed or harassed or fear mongered into doing so.
It has been apparently brought up recently that I have kept this situation going, that I’ve pushed it on others and that I have not tried to explain myself – that this was all out of hatred – and that could not be further from the truth. In fact, there are things we haven’t included in this post because we felt they were too nitpicky and harsh.
I have deactivated this post (because this case is closed, because Nick is doing ok, and because there is no reason to keep using this post to insist that I harassed others) but people continued to use to push their own agenda. So, if they’re going to draw attention to it, I may as well defend myself.
So, I am posting these tweets here. These are all of the things that I have tweeted since I published the post (which I only tweeted out twice and tagged neither Nick or Melissa) trying to be as kind as I possibly could be, trying to settle people down and explaining what we’ve been explaining all along. Not that we owe it to anyone.
If you’re reading this, please feel free to draw your own conclusions.
October 2019: Because of family friction, it has been brought to our attention that Melissa and her father are still accusing me of trolling, lying, etc. even though we have not tweeted about any of this outside of the tweets above. If anyone is reading this, rest assured that I do not believe in trolling and seeing as I have caught flack for writing this in the first place, why would I go anonymous now? I wouldn’t.
Furthermore, I’ve made it VERY clear that I have ZERO interest in degrading anyone involved personally. I said what I said here and that’s really all I have to say. I don’t know Melissa. I don’t know her dad. But I know enough about Nick that I can choose to believe what I want to believe. If you believe otherwise, fine. I’m not here to control anyone’s ultimate opinion. As stated above, draw your own conclusions.
This update is only because I feel that it is unfair that my silence is being taken advantage of. As long as I have not responded, Melissa continues to get to put things on me that are not true. She has claimed that I am a liar, yet I never called her out on her lies in her blog about me (I don’t work for Wonderful Union and I have no vested interest in Nick Carter). She has claimed that I am “hiding” behind anonymous accounts, which I’ve already addressed… and she blocked our Twitter account long ago (which is fine with me — we’re obviously on opposing sides — but don’t throw stones at others for things you have done as well). She has stated that she’s all for empowering women, but takes any chance she gets to remind people that BSB fans are immature and disgusting. Beyond that, I feel like as women with fully functioning minds, we’re all allowed to our opinion.
Also, let it be known that I have absolutely ZERO interest in speaking about, calling out or anything else to do with Aaron Carter. I wish him all the best and that if he needs help, he gets the appropriate help without influence from others who may or may not have his best interests in mind. Honestly, I haven’t kept up with all of it.
Bullying of ANY kind, even retaliation, is never okay. We’re done with this subject. There is nothing we can do, so it is what it is. Sending peace and healing to everyone.