It has taken us longer than we should have to write this post, but it’s been a crazy few weeks!
If you’ve followed our posts for any length of time, you know that while we try to be fair about posting equally about the Boys individually. Sometimes, this is hard, especially with people like Howie, who we LOVE, but who is also a pretty private person.
BUT here we are because the way Howie D. treated fans a few weekends ago at FanBoy Expo in Knoxville, TN was definitely something to be admired. Much like our post about Kevin following CMT Crossroads, this is based on a personal experience that we can’t help but share because he deserves it.
Howie has been the quiet, unassuming Backstreet Boy for many years. He’s incredibly kind, intelligent, and down-to-earth and we can not tell you how much we appreciate it.
The weekend of Fanboy Expo, Nick, AJ, and Howie were all scheduled to appear Friday-Sunday. Due to travel issues, Howie was the only one who made it on Friday and by the time we got there, he had quite a line.
Let us tell you a few things:
- He stayed from open to close every single day.
- He took his time talking to every single fan. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
- When it was time for him to go to a photo op, he was worried about what the people still waiting in line for him for selfies / autographs were going to do.
- He was willing to have a beer with us and so appreciative when Kristie bought one for him. So grateful that he came over to cheers and take a photo.
- We can not stress enough how real he kept it and how down to earth he remained the entire weekend. He remembered everything we told him everytime he saw us.
- Kristie and I tend to be a lot together when you don’t know us, but Howie was more than willing to participate in our antics and was relatively excited about it.
We didn’t know what to expect from Howie D. at a con appearance as this was his first legit con that he attended, but we are so glad that we had the experience because it has given us a new appreciate for perhaps the most soft spoken of the group. He took his time, he heard what we were saying and made a point to have conversation, he connected, he made sure everyone’s photos turned out okay…. and he admitted that drinking is the best way to handle a Backstreet Boys cruise (right??)!
He was an unexpected, genuine, sweet surprise during our weekend in Knoxville and we can’t wait to see him again in the future.
If you finally found WHOTB (lol) and you’re reading this, thank you for sharing your weekend (and 25 years) with us. Your attentiveness, you attitude, and your care for everyone really went a long way and we really do appreciate you. Also, thank you for being the responsible one and taking the Tide pen.
If you want your own experience with Howie at an upcoming con appearance, he has recently been added to the line up at Wales Comic Con in the UK in December.
For the latest on more appearances, follow us on social media or sign up to get our blogs emailed to you!