In the past week, a lot of things have been posted and a lot of arguments have been thrown back and forth via social media in regards to Melissa Schuman’s allegations against Nick Carter in 2002. If you haven’t read about it, google it – we’re not going to link it in this post.
Numerous fans (and non-fans) have taken to Twitter, Facebook, etc. to post their opinions about the story and to be honest, none of us know exactly what transpired the night that Melissa has brought into question. That much is true. That is why we can only go off of what we know and that is where it gets confusing.
Before we lay out what we know and why we’re confused, let’s get one thing straight – we are not “victim shaming” and we know the whole “this is why victims don’t come forward” psychology. We get it. Just as Nick is innocent until proven guilty, we, personally, can not 100% refer to Melissa as a victim.
We’re not posting this to get into a he-said / she-said, but we’re posting it to give everyone a layout of WHY we’re all confused about these allegations (and to right a few things). If we’re going to talk about it, let’s talk about all of it. We are always welcoming of anyone who can dispute the items and clear things up for us as well.
Here we go:
- Probably the most questionable fact regarding Melissa and Nick has been the fact that Melissa Schuman follows Nick Carter on Twitter. Even after many fans pointed this out, she has not unfollowed him. Melissa joined Twitter in April 2008 and Nick didn’t join until March 2009. This was 6 and 7 years after the alleged incident and it isn’t a case of “follow back” since Nick does not follow her.
We understand that it’s good to keep friendly relations in “the industry”, but if Melissa wanted nothing to do with Nick past the incident and the duet where he supposedly snubbed her for having a boyfriend, why is she following him on social media?
- Melissa tweeted Nick her condolences after his sister Leslie passed away in 2012.
@NickCarter My thoughts and prayers out to you and your family. I’m so very sorry for your loss.
— MelissaSchuman (@MelissaSchuman) February 2, 2012
- Melissa’s husband of 11 years (who she met in 2003), Brandon Henschel, is a dancer on Lip Sync Battle and danced on stage with Nick Carter, AJ McLean, and Gigi Hadid in 2016. Melissa liked this tweet about Nick and her husband being “DILFs”.
— Kathleen T (@kafaleen86) February 22, 2016
- In 2012, Melissa retweeted a tweet about the song that she and Nick recorded together.
— Silvy Mtz. (@s57v58) July 14, 2012
- In a video on her YouTube page from September 2017, Melissa states that “music from BSB and NSYNC “gives her the “warm and fuzzies”.
- This Summer, Melissa added a video of Nick in The Hollow to her YouTube playlist, posted by a Backstreet fan account.
- It’s apparent across all social media channels that Melissa is trying to gain notoriety. She and her husband have applied to be on The Amazing Race and she has tweeted Celebrity Big Brother to be on as well. Her first YouTube video from 2014 is titled “I Need To Become Important On The Internet”, in which she talks about how much she wants to be back in the spotlight. See video here. This has been said to be an improv piece, but we have no proof. She has also tweeted multiple times over the years that she is looking to be on Dancing With The Stars. She was also active on social media (liking tweets / retweeting) about wanting to be a judge on Boy Band – which Nick Carter was already cast on.
- Melissa name drops Nick in a 2015 interview about what she has been up to since Dream ended.
- At 1:45 into this video, Melissa and Ashley (also from Dream) name NSYNC as their favorite boyband, but agree that they love the Backstreet Boys as well.
- Perhaps the oddest is that Melissa did an Instagram Live with fans in May and at 2:30m, she states “that poor guy (Nick) has gone through so much. He’s been through it, I tell you. So sad” before going on to talk about how excited she is to watch Boy Band and mentioning that Aaron Carter is a “hoot”, signaling that her and Nick’s relationship went past one night. Watch here.
- Speaking of Aaron, she also tweeted him (Nick’s brother) in 2013 in good spirits.
- We also find it odd that, before posting this piece on Harvey Weinstein and the #MeToo movement and how Maxim wanted her to show more skin against her wants, Melissa erased all traces of attending the Maxim Halloween party in 2015 from her Instagram….but not her Twitter (here, here, here, and here). There are multiple instagram posts that have been deleted actually, and upon posting her Nick Carter themed blog post, there were multiple fans that asked her where her Instagram post went that was praising him. Obviously, we can not retrieve deleted posts, but with so many alluding to them and a history of deleting things, we have reason to believe that they existed, just like people believe that these events actually happened.
@melissaschuman that sounds Awesome. are you and Nick Carter still keep in Touch?
— DJ KiD MiKEY (@THEBACKSTSAVIOR) February 18, 2010
@THEBACKSTSAVIOR I havent seen him in a few years actually. Talented guy!
— MelissaSchuman (@MelissaSchuman) February 18, 2010
- While Melissa changed her Instagram handle and deleted the above IG post, a fan shared the post before it was deleted. Melissa posted this photo of Nick with their song playing in December 2016 with words of praise for Nick — which has since been deleted.
- Melissa also left the comment above in Summer 2017 on a Backstreet Boys fan’s video of the Boys from a Vegas show.
- Melissa also claimed she didn’t tell anyone about it for a long time. However, in a story to Life & Style magazine in early 2018, where she changed the incident from 2002 to 2003 after it had been published, claimed that multiple people knew, including her fellow Dream members.
Nick has always been very open and honest with fans, detailing events he isn’t proud of in hopes that someone else will learn from his mistakes. So, in addition to the above facts about why we find Melissa’s claims hard to believe, we can’t just take her word for it.
Again, we are not shaming Melissa Schuman, but the above pieces are what they are and we don’t have any reason to not believe Nick when he says that everything was consensual and that he’s shocked by these accusations… because we are too. If we had any reason to believe that Nick is guilty of sexual misconduct, we wouldn’t be writing this. We are reasonable human beings and we definitely don’t believe that Nick Carter can do no wrong… because he has….and he has taken complete ownership of it. He has given us EVERY reason to believe him, without having to convince us.
So, we leave you to draw your own conclusions, but get your facts straight and get all the pieces of the puzzle before you do. We owe it to everyone involved.
[DISCLAIMER: Since this post was published, it has been assumed that I have some sort of paid association with Nick. That is a wrong assumption. I am a regular person with a job that has absolutely nothing to do with Nick Carter and this site has been my own with my own thoughts and opinions since 2014.]